Best Rechargeable Flashlight Review In 2018
- Streamlight 74301 Strion LED Flashlight
- Dimensions: 8.7 x 5.4 x 3.7 inches
- Weight: 1.2 pounds
- Manufacturer: StreamlightDepartment: Tools & Home ImprovementBattery-Powered
- Fenix PD35 TAC 1000 Lumen CREE LED Tactical Flashlight
- Size : Diameter:18.5mm
- Weight : 49g
- Manufacturer: EdisonBrightDepartment: Tactical FlashlightsVoltage : 3.7v
- Streamlight 75454 Stinger DS LED High Lumen Rechargeable Flashlight
- Dimensions: 8.8 x 3 x 3 inches
- Weight: 2 pounds
- Manufacturer: StreamlightDepartment: Tools & Home Improvement50,000 hour lifetime
- Nitecore SRT7 Revenger
- Quality holster
- Weight: 1.7 pounds
- Manufacturer: EdisonBrightDepartment: Tools & Home ImprovementRemovable clip
- Streamlight 75458 Stinger DS LED High Lumen Rechargeable Flashlight
- Dimensions 8.8 x 3 x 3 inches
- Weight:2 pounds
- Manufacturer:StreamlightDepartment: Handheld Flashlights50,000 hour lifetime
- Inova T4RQMDB-HB T4R Rechargeable Lithium Powered LED Flashlight
- Dimensions:7.9 x 1.4 x 1.4 inches
- Weight:1 pounds
- Manufacturer:InovaDepartment: Handheld FlashlightsAnodized aluminum body
- Streamlight 75813 Stinger DS C4 LED Flashlight
- Dimensions :5 x 5 x 5 inches
- Weight:3 pounds
- Manufacturer:StreamlightDepartment: Handheld FlashlightsAluminum anodized body
- SureFire Defender Series LED Flashlights with Strike Bezel
- Dimensions: 8 x 4 x 2 inches
- Weight: 6.4 ounces
- Manufacturer:SureFireDepartment:Handheld Flashlights200 meters of beam distance
Best rechargeable flashlight buying guide is mandatory for you if you are planning to go for making outdoor programs like hiking, camping, sailing, fishing, etc. They are also useful while using them for indoor purposes during the time of sudden power cut or load shedding or the other emergencies.
Rechargeable flashlights are well equipped devices with multiple functions and also have wide ranged uses for various purposes. But the users might get it difficult to choose the best rechargeable flashlight, as its market is getting larger day by day and also their demands are also growing up with the passage of recent times.
You might get perplexed while choosing the reliable one with all necessary convenient uses and special features. Here we are for providing you a perfect guideline for the purchase of the best rechargeable flashlights.
This buying guide will take a bit of your time, as it has approximately 7000+ words. Don’t lose your impressions so early. This one surely is going to be a helpful one for you. You should better sit tight with a cup of coffee. You can also use the content index for taking a shortcut scroll to your favorite section.
Top 10 Best Rechargeable Flashlight Reviews
Streamlight 74301 Strion
Streamlight 74301 is the latest generation flashlight with a compact body and rigid construction of Aluminum. It has C4 LED technology which offers some exclusive features like the powerful illumination and a better output in a relatively lower operating cost.
This modern C4 photonic crystal technique ensures the intense levels of the beam and about three times powerful light than the other flashlights. The light intensity of this model is 260 Lumens, which is a bit of lower value than the other models. The maximum beam distance is 200 meters. It has a battery of Lithium ion (Li-ion) and about 7.30 hours of battery life. The candle power of this product is 10,000 candelas. It will serve you for a longer period and meet up your demand of piercing the darkness. Apart from these pros, this model has also some fascinating features of variable intensity modes controlled by three microprocessors and also a strobe mode. This item has both the AC and DC charging options. The body is well protected with the IPX4 design and also offers the waterproof features.
- C4 LED bulb technology.
- Lithium ion battery.
- 200 meters of beam distance.
- Anodized aluminum body.
- Beam intensity of 10,000 candelas.
- 260 Lumens brightness.
- Water resistant item.
- Charge holding capacity up to 7.30 hours.
Pros & Cons
- Longer running time.
- Strong and rigid body to last longer.
- Brighter and more powerful light intensity.
- Rechargeable batteries for long lasting service.
- A bit defective switch.
- No satisfactory durability.
What are included in package
- Both AC and DC charge cord.
- One charger.
- One holder.
Fenix PD35 TAC
Fenix PD35 flashlight is one of the most suitable ones to use, as you can use this light as the pocket light. This item is just only 5.5 inches and can easily fit in your pocket. It is also lightweight with only 87 grams except the battery. Despite such smaller size, it has all the features you will need to consider it as the best rechargeable flashlight.
This item has high acceptance in the field of the military and other law enforcement departments, but this item also has all other the traditional uses of the flashlights as well. You are going to enjoy a higher level of light intensity of about 1000 Lumens, with just only one 18650 Lithium-ion battery or two CR123A Lithium batteries of 3 Volts. You will be highly benefitted for longer time use of the batteries as they will ensure over 29 hours of service in a stretch. Bulb type is of Cree XP-L technology with 10,000 Candles of candle power and 200 meters of beam distance. This product holds the tactical tail switch and four different modes are available for this light. These available methods are turbo (providing 960 Lumens), high (providing 460 Lumens), mid (providing 180 Lumens) and Low (providing 50 Lumens). Apart from these modes of operation, there is another economy mode for this item that will let the consumers enjoy 14 Lumens of light intensity. The body of this product has the rigid construction of Aluminum with anti-slip resistance features.
- Constant brightness with 1000 Lumens of light output.
- Single rechargeable 18650 Lithium ion batteries or alternatively two CR123A Lithium batteries are usable.
- Amazing life time of the batteries up to 29.15 hours.
- Cree XP-L bulb technology.
- Bulb has life span of about 50,000 hours.
- Tactical light with tail switch.
- 200 meters beam distance.
- 10,000 Candelas of beam intensity.
- Turbo, Low, High and Mid. Different modes of operations.
- Strobe functions for disorienting and signaling purposes.
- Economy mode is also available.
- Anti-roll body design.
Pros & Cons
- Extreme brightness with high light output.
- Suitable for outdoor application.
- Durable anodized aluminum body.
- Minimum heat consumption.
- Over heat resistance feature.
- Slip resistant body.
- Helpful in griping.
- Weather resistant.
- Heat protected body.
- Incredible battery runtime.
- Budget friendly item.
- Easy switching methods.
- Lighter is too brighter to use in domestic purposes.
- Mode changing procedure is a bit time consuming.
What are included in package
- Two rechargeable EdisonBright batteries (Lithium CR123A).
- Box bundle for EdisonBright batteries.
Streamlight 75454 Stinger DS
Streamlight 75454 is one of the most powerful flashlights that will provide you the larger and stronger illumination as this flashlight has the light intensity of 640 Lumens along with approximately 297 meters of beam distances. The higher candle power of about 20,000 candelas will allow covering the maximum area and also the 50,000 hours lifetime of this model will provide more guaranteed services.
The body is of aluminum, and the bulb type is of C4 LED technology with shockproof nature. The battery is of NiMH or NiCd categories, and this one is rechargeable approximately up to 1000 times. The average run time of the battery is about 4 hours. Three different lighting modes (high, medium and low) are available in this model that will make this model usable for various sectors. Streamlight 75454 Flashlight also has the additional feature of Strobe mode which is usable for disorienting or signaling. The reflector of this model is of parabolic type, which will also allow enjoying the most concentrated beam while using this flashlight. The lens of this flashlight is of unbreakable polycarbonate and has the coating for resisting the scratches. The body of this flashlight is also of IPX4 type and water resistant.
- C4 bulb technology.
- Shock proof up to 50,000 hours.
- Parabolic reflector at the front.
- NiMH or NiCd batteries used.
- Aluminum body.
- Rechargeable battery up to 1000 times approximately.
- Water resistant design.
- 3 different modes of operation.
- AC and DC both chargers are applicable.
- Impact resistance up to 1 meter of distance.
- 297 meters throw distance.
- 22,000 candelas of beam intensity.
Pros & Cons
- High level of brightness.
- Rechargeable battery.
- Longer range of beam.
- Quality body construction.
- Shock proof.
- Battery doesn’t last longer.
- Bit expensive.
What are included in package
- 120 volts AC or 12 Volts DC charger.
- 2 holders.
NiteCore SRT7 Revenger
NiteCore SRT7 Flashlight is best suitable for hunting, law enforcement professional and other tactical applications. Its body has the rigid construction of aero grade Aluminum with robust military grade anodized features. It also has waterproof IPX-8 design and also impacts resistant criteria up to 1.5 meters distance.
The maximum level of light intensity of this item is 960 Lumens along with the beam distance of 308 meters and candle power of 23,256 Candela. The bulb used is of Cree Xm-L2 technology and both 18650 Lithium ion, and CR123A Lithium batteries are applicable for this flashlight product. The supplied lifetime of the battery is up to 43 hours which will give you a fantastic long lasting service. Apart from these typical characteristics, this flashlight has also some outstanding and exclusive features. It will present you the third generation of the smart selector of ring technology along with the crystal coating technology of the second generation. Moreover, it will also catch the attentions of the customers as it has some unique signaling lights of multi colors like red, green and blue. It also has the feature of RGB illumination system that has widely spread popularity and high acceptance towards the consumers. The price of this item is also within pretty much budget friendly.
- Greater light output of 960 Lumens.
- Lithium ion batteries are suitable. Both 18650 Lithium and C123A batteries are usable.
- Cree Xm-L2 bulb technologies.
- Extended run time of the batteries. Up to 43 hours. Greater than others.
- Throw distance up to 308 meters.
- 23,256 Candelas of Candle power.
- Exclusive feature of Smart Selector Ring technology.
- Multi colored lights. Green, red and blue are available.
- Suitable for signaling.
- Rigid construction with aero grade aluminum body.
- Anti-reflective featured coating glass lens.
- IPX8 design for ensuring water resistance.
- Capable of tale stand feature.
Pros & Cons
- Best suitable for the multiple purposes like hunting, law enforcement departments and so on.
- More concentrated light produced due to the anti-reflective coating.
- Long lasting services of the battery.
- Incredible light intensity.
- Great adjustment of brightness.
- Different function selection for better adjustment.
- Waterproof feature.
- Impact resistant up to a distance of 1.5 meters.
- SMR technology provides variable brightness adjustment system.
- Different colored light has applications in different sectors.
- Suitable for the limited budget option.
- Featured with submergibility up to two meters of distance.
- Poor body structure.
- The glass of the lens has less strength.
- No batteries are included in the package.
What are included in package
- Belt holster.
Coast A25R has all the exciting features to make you feel grab this right now. It has a pure quality of beam optics with a corresponding beam distance of about 208 meters. The light output of this model is 725 that is quite impressive. It has an inbuilt Lithium-ion battery which has a longer period of the runtime of about 19 hours.
The recharging process of the battery includes AC, DC or USB, all types of power sources. This long lasting feature of the battery will provide some excellent performances for the users. The bulb is LED type, and it will offer 15,000 candelas. There are both the low and high modes along with the strobe mode available in this item. Features of having the easily operated slide focus and the single switch on the tail cap have made this product more user friendly. The rigid body of this flashlight is made of stainless steel and has the weather and impact resistant nature. You can enjoy all of these exciting features.
- 725 Lumens light output.
- LED bulb technology.
- Slide focusing feature.
- Lithium ion battery operated.
- 208 meters beam distance.
- 15,000 candle power.
- Tail cap is available, operated with a single button only.
- Body made of stainless steel.
- Three different modes of operation.
Pros & Cons
- Rigid construction with stainless steel.
- Built with good O-rings.
- Extreme level of light intensity.
- Better focusing.
- Weather resistant feature.
- Easy to use.
- Single hand focusing system.
- Rechargeable batteries.
- Available for DC, AC or USB power sources.
- Lifetime warranty.
- Not pretty long lasting batteries.
What are included in package
- Nylon Holster.
- Available belt closures.
Streamlight 75458 Stinger DS
As the name suggests, this Streamlight 75458 Stinger is one of the most famous names in rechargeable flashlight industry, which will provide the customers the best performances and will allow them to enjoy its excellent features of high illumination. This item has all the amazing features to take place in your best rechargeable flashlight list. The maximum range of light intensity provided by this model is 640 Lumens.
NiMH and NiCd, both types of batteries, are available to use. The bulb is of C4 technologies, and battery is rechargeable up to about 1000 times, while the overall lifetime of the charge is for 4 hours. You can also use them again and again after charging. An extended life of 50,000 hours of the battery will give you a guaranteed service over years. Anodized aluminum construction of the flashlight body has made the light more robust and reliable to use. You will get a grip of rubber that will prevent you from slipping during your use and also ensure the comfort. The ipx4 design of the light will provide the water resistant feature. This light also has the proof of impact resistance of up to 1 meter.
- C4 LED technology of bulb.
- 50,000 hours of shock proof ability.
- Suitable for both NiMH and NiCd batteries.
- Rechargeable batteries up to 1000 times.
- Battery life up to 4 hours.
- Beam distance covers 297 meters.
- 22,000 candelas candle power.
- IPX4 design provides water resistance feature.
- Impact resistant up to 1 meter of distance.
- 3 different lighting modes along with strobe.
Pros & Cons
- Built to long last.
- More concentrated beam.
- Different available modes.
- Easy switching.
- Both the signaling and disorienting are possible.
- Regulated and powerful light intensity.
- A bit expensive item.
- Discharging of battery works too fast.
What are included in package
- AC charger (120 Volts).
- DC charger (12 Volts).
Inova T4RQMDB-HB T4R
Inova T4RQMDB flashlight is a simple but useful light for your uses. It has an aluminum made an outer construction that is rigid and more compact in design. The bulb type used in this item is of LED technology. 18650 Lithium-ion batteries are suitable for the utilization of this product.
The maximum level of the run-time of the battery is 43 hours (in Low mode). The throw distance of light of this model is 213 meters. This product is a tactical flashlight with switching action capabilities to different modes like high, medium, low, strobe and momentary high. The overall light intensity and the run-time of battery vary from one mode to another mode. The body has the impact resistance features. This price of this flashlight is also within your budget. This model has higher acceptance to the consumers for its natural operations and other useful features.
- 303 Lumens of light intensity.
- Lithium 18650 batteries are usable.
- 43 hours of run time for the batteries.
- 213 meters of beam distance.
- Anodized aluminum body.
- Mid body switch available with tactical feature.
- Different settings are available like high, momentary high, medium and low. Strobe mode is also available.
- Impact resistance feature.
Pros & Cons
- Simple and easy design of the product.
- Easy to operate.
- Long lasting battery life.
- Weather resistant item.
- Useful for the outdoor uses.
- Light weighted device.
- Suitable as a portable tool.
- Charging capability within 3 hours only.
- Limited lifetime warranty.
- Defective switch.
- Horrible customer services.
- Not a reliable one.
What are included in package
- Power supplies.
- Charger cradle.
- Lithium ion batteries.
Streamlight 75813 Stinger DS
If you are looking for a high-configured flashlight, but you have some limited budget, then Streamlight 75813 would be your right choice. The item has all the exciting features the customers might look for while purchasing one. This flashlight has 385 Lumens of light intensity along with 332 meters of beam distance. Alongside, the light output of this flashlight is approximately 26000 candelas.
Apart from this intense illumination and high brightness level, you will also enjoy its robust construction with scratch resistant coating. Unbreakable polycarbonate provides necessary rigidity on its body. The bulb is of C4 LEB technology to ensure better performance, while the battery used in its body is of NiCd type and the battery has an incredible lasting time of approximately more than 7 hours. It will let the consumers have the light available for a longer period. The battery also has the features of shock resistance and impervious to other impacts. The overall lifetime of this flashlight is 20,000 hours. All the different three modes of High, Medium and Low are available in the item. Strobe mode is also applicable for this model. Considering all these specifications, Streamlight 75813 would be one of your best choices.
- Unbreakable body of polycarbonate.
- Coating with the feature of scratch resistance.
- Lamp is of C4 Luxeon LED technology.
- 385 Lumens of optical output.
- NiCd types of batteries are suitable.
- Extended battery life of 7.15 hours.
- 322 meters throw distance.
- Higher candle power of 26,000 Candelas.
- Aluminum anodized body.
Pros & Cons
- Body is scratch resistant.
- Lamp is shock impervious up to 20,000 hour longer time.
- Easy to operate with single hand.
- Designed for a longer period of lifetime.
- Multifunction operations.
- Both head and tail caps are available.
- Extremely powerful flashlight.
- Three different modes along with strobe.
- Disorienting and signaling with strobe mode.
- Feature like anti roll ring is included in this product.
- Less energy required.
- Less heat produced.
- No suitable reflector.
- Produced light is not well circulated.
What are included in package
- Both AC and DC steady chargers.
- Nylon holster.
This microprocessor controlled SureFire E2D flashlight has all the fascinating features to grab it for your purposes. The bulb is of LED technology, and there are two stages of LED in this XM L2 structure. It will ensure the consumers to enjoy the light output that is approximately six times greater than the typical ones.
The body of this product is made of hard anodized aluminum and provides the necessary rigidity to the item. This item is best known as virtually indestructible and has all the capabilities of self-defending. The light intensity produced by this light is around 500 Lumens. The throw distance is 200 meters along with the beam intensity of 18,000 candelas. Lithium ion 18650 batteries are suitable for its operation with an extended run time of 100 hours of the battery. There is also a tactic switch, by clicking the switch you will get the dual output. The body is also impact resistant, and O-ring is waterproof. This item would be a bit expensive for the general users.
- Microprocessor controlled flashlight.
- LED bulb technologies.
- XM L2 type of structure with two different stages of LED.
- 500 Lumens of light intensity.
- Extended life time of battery. Up to 100 hours run time.
- Lithium ion 18650 batteries.
- 200 meters of beam distance.
- Good beam intensity of 18,000 Candelas.
- Aluminum constructed body of light.
- Lens uses total internal reflection techniques.
- Tail cap switch including two stages.
Pros & Cons
- Virtually indestructible body.
- Bulb has no risk of filament breaking or burning out.
- Two stages of light have last longer capacity.
- Greater focused light beam produced due to total internal reflections.
- Self defending criteria.
- Robust body structure.
- Light weight product of only 0.23 pounds.
- Easily portable.
- Suitable item for outdoor usages.
- No strobe mode is available.
- No available feature of reversible pocket clip.
- There is no anti-slip body coating.
- Expensive item to purchase.
What are included in package
- Two CR123A batteries included.
MAGLITE RX1019 is another top branded rechargeable flashlight system that will provide you more reliable and efficient lighting supply. This item is real easy to operate, and also pretty lightweight weighing 31 ounces only. Both the tight spot mode and flood mood are available in this model. The outer body of this light is of aluminum which provides a sturdy and rigid construction of the body.
680 Lumens of light intensity will allow the user to have a total dark-free luminous environment. Bigger beam distance of 415 meters will let the light flourish a longer distance. 51,700 Candelas of beam intensity is another interesting feature of this product that will give the consumers some flawless services. The halogen bulb will also make the surrounding more luminous. The battery is either of NiMh or NiCd type, and it will offer more than 1000 hours of services. Both AC and DC charging are available, 12 Volts DC power cord or 12 Volts AC converter required. Tempered glass lens of the light ensure some improved performances. The price of this item is a bit higher. You can make yourself assured that your money is worth investing on such product item.
- Amazing output of 680 Lumens.
- Both NiMH and NiCd type of batteries are usable.
- Fluorescent halogen bulb technology.
- Battery runtime of 2.5 hours.
- 415 meters of beam distance.
- Outstanding beam intensity of 51,700 Candelas.
- Aluminum outer body.
- Four different modes for various functions.
Pros & Cons
- Durably constructed product.
- Long lasting feature for reliable uses.
- Limitless uses of adjustable flashlight.
- Easily replaceable halogen lamp.
- Tear and wear resistant aluminum alloy constructed body.
- Self cleaning featured on and off switch.
- Highly polished glass lens.
- Easy operating high grade O-rings.
- Shock and water proof.
What are included in package
- Both 12 Volts DC power cord & 12 Volts AC converter.
- NiMH battery pack.
- Charging cradle.
- Two mounting brackets.
- Additional halogen lamp.
Myth about Flashlight
Whenever people are thinking about a flashlight then a big, bulky and heavy waited steel body item with fat battery flashes in their minds.
But the good news is with the advancement of science we are far away from all those bulky flashlight build structure. Nowadays, you can own a flashlight almost in any shapes or sizes either it may be a regular one or a tiny shape which can fit on your key chain.
After the innovation of LED bulb and advance battery power technology, the myth about the old flashlight structures vanished. Now, you can find almost any shapes of flashlight which is smaller & light weighted which contains immense power with energy efficiency. As a result, you get all those monster flashlight in your grip.
Anatomy of Rechargeable Flashlight
ANSI FL1 Flashlight Standards
American National Standards Institute (ANSI) has approved the standard for flashlight in 2009. This standard is known as ANSI FL1. Manufacturers of flashlight follows this standard to make the flashlight usage experience better for the users. ANSI FL1 also the best guide for the buyer to make their choices.
Below we highlights the ANSI FL1 standard system to help you to choose the best flashlight for you-
Lumens is the unit of measurement for light output. In ANSI FL1, light output measures the amount of luminous flux coming out through the integrated sphere (front) of the flashlight.
This is the duration of time from the initial light output value until that value drops to 10% of the initial value. This measurement defines the amount of time after which the users will generally change the batteries.
This is the measurement of the distance (in meters) where the light intensity of the beam reaches 0.25 lux. Basically 0.25 lux is the approximate the equivalent of the amount of light from the full moon on a clear night in a open field.
This measures the brightest part of the beam which is known as candela. Normally the maximum light intensity generated from the central axis of a cone of light. Candela is static in relation with the beam distance.
This is the drop test measurement which verify the damage resistance of a flashlight. It exhibits that the flashlight will be still workable if you dropped it on a solid surface from a specific height (claimed by the manufacturer). Impact resistance passed flashlight must not have any cracks or breaks and must be remain fully operational.
According to ANSI, three levels of water resistance standard is available –
IPX4- It represents the flashlight resistance to splashing water.
IPX7- Flashlight with IPX7 rating is tested to perform submerged to 1 meter for 30 minutes.
IPX8 – Flashlight with IPX8 rating is tested to perform submerged deeper than 1 meter for up to 04 hours.
Why we should choose the rechargeable ones?
The old fashioned flashlights had the features of removable batteries with lower power consumption level.
But it might add some difficulties for you while changing the batteries every now and then. You might need a more reliable battery supply in the need of emergencies.
Considering all these factors, the old fashioned replaceable batteries have been replaced by the modern sustainable batteries which are rechargeable in nature.
These batteries are mainly Li-ion batteries along with the features of having low energy consuming LEDs. These LEDs are more shock resistant and also lighter than the older bulbs technology.
Thus these flashlights will be the best options for the customers due to their long lasting capabilities and other enhanced performances. This one will really be worth for investing your money.
Removable vs. Non-Removal issues, which one to choose?
It is a matter of well argument to choose the one among the removable and non-removable batteries as both of them have specific pros and cons to use. You can have both rechargeable flashlights with the removable batteries and the ones with the built-in features.
The removable ones have cheaper replaceable batteries along with the eases of charging system within limited time ranges.
On the contrary, the non-removable batteries have also other useful features like having minimum moving parts and reduced sizes of the components.
Both of the categories have relative pros and cons. So, it is completely up to the consumers’ side which one of them they are going to grab for their uses.
Users of Rechargeable Flashlight
Good knowledge and wise decision making are required in choosing flashlight. Because there are lot of choices in market and definitively all of them are not good in quality. Certainly all users level are not same and some people need professional grade tools for their jobs. If your job or hobbies fall in any of the following category then you must chose the professional grade rechargeable flashlight over a cheap one which may fail you easily.
Hobbies like camping, trekking, fishing, hunting needs to be engaged at outdoor spot. If you have any of these hobbies then you must need the assistance of best rechargeable flashlight for your own safety.
If you are a hunter then you may pair a tactical flashlight with for a clear spot to shoot your prey. While the combination of flashlight and pocket / hunting knife will ease your job if you are on trekking, camping or fishing.
Can you imagine your job position as a security guard or a mall cop or a police officer without a brightest flashlight? Definitely No!
For the law enforcement job position, flashlight is the most important tools. You must not wish to use your gun in the dark without proper focus as a police officer or as a mall cop or security guard you might wish for the brightest flashlight in the world for your night patrol job.
It is not necessary that only the outdoor activist or law enforcement officers needs the help of flashlight. Many workers also badly depend on durable flashlight for their ease such as truck driver may want to use a flashlight for maintenance of truck at night time. Or a farmer may use the flashlight to check his crop or cattle to save from the thieves. Firefighters must need a heavy duty flashlight while they are on emergency rescue mission.
Best Rechargeable Flashlights Buying Guide 2018
If you are completely a new user and intend to buy a new rechargeable flashlight for your purposes then you should be careful while buying one of them. You should carefully look for some specific features of the flashlights.
These factors are –
- The intensity of the light measured in the units of Lumens
- Power efficiency of the devices
- Life time of the batteries
- Eases of the uses
- Features of the batteries
- Quality of the components, and so on.
You can get the elaborate suggestions of each of these factors while going through this article.
Power output or the light intensity of the flashlight is one of the major factors. You should be careful while you are opting for buying flashlight for any of your purposes.
Light intensity is actually measured by the amount of the light coming out from the flashlight. The measurement for light intensity is Lumens. It is related to the efficiency of the flashlight and the power consumption of it.
Considering this factor, the flashlights can be classified into 5 categories:
- General purpose Flashlights: 20 to 80 Lumens.
- Mid-range Flashlights: 80 to 300 Lumens.
- High output Flashlights: 300 to 700 Lumens.
- Ultra high output Flashlights with burst: 700+ Lumens.
- Ultra high output Flashlights without burst: 700+ Lumens.
Runtime refers to the durability of the batteries of the flashlights. It also depends on the factors like the capacity of the batteries and the overall designs of the power savings of the flashlight.
Flashlights are of 3 types according to this factor:
- Less than 1 hour run time: Usually, flashlights using in indoor appliances have runtime of less than 1 hour. This category of flashlight provides relatively a lower output power. Average runtime of this type of flashlight ranges from 15 minutes to half an hour.
- 1 to 5 hours of run time: Flashlights which have some intense uses have typical runtime of 1 to 3 hours usually. This range can also vary up to 5 hours using the step down regulation process.
- More than 5 hours of run time: Larger lights using in industrial areas have larger batteries along with the longer sustainability up to 7 to 10 hours.
Size and Weight of the flashlights
Size and weight of the flashlights are also crucial as they will determine the capacity and portability of the lights. Typical and available sizes of the flashlights are:
- Tactical sizes: These flashlights are 4 to 6 inches in average size. They are smaller and hence easier to carry and also convenient to use.
- Mid sizes: The available mid sizes of the flashlights vary from 6 to 10 inches. They have also the portable features. Use of both the head and tail switches is another fascinating feature of these lights.
- Regular sizes: These ones are more than 10 inches and a holster is along with them for the ease of carrying. They also offer more light intensity and greater capacity.
To more details about Flashlight you can explore here.
Types of Flashlight Bulb
Difference in flashlight bulbs defines the brightness level and the bulbs durability of the flashlight. In today’s words, all the flashlight comes with the following bulbs choices –
Incandescent Bulb – this type of bulbs are gas-filled either xenon or halogen which ensures better lighting performance. Both types of gas provides a white and natural appearing light but can break down on extreme impact. The main difference between both types of bulbs is halogen bulb get less blacken than xenon over its lifetime use.
LED (Light Emitting Diodes) – This bulbs offers a solid-state construction. LED bulbs can ensures for more than 100,000 life hours and not require for periodic replacement like halogen or xenon bulbs. LED bulb run for long period continuously.
Beam intensity of the lights
Beam intensity is the measurement of the amount and strength of the light perceived by the normal human eye.
This term is mainly related to the brightness of the light, as the brightness gets doubled, the beam intensity gets four times at the same time.
Beam intensity also refers the method of the projection of the focusing of light. So it will play a vital role while deciding to purchase one of the flashlights.
Beam intensity is measured in Candela and is mainly of three types in classification:
- Less than 2000 Candela: Typical intensity. Normal household uses.
- 2000 to 25,000 Candela: Mid ranged intensity. Averagely focused.
- Greater than 25,000 Candela: Tightly focused. Maximum range of the intensity.Wide ranged uses as spotlight.
Flood vs Throw
Flood and Throw are two technical term for flashlight. Little bit confusing term though. Some people think both are same. But these two terms will come again and again when you are doing research for buying best rechargeable flashlight for your need.
Let’s make it easy –
Flood represents the area of coverage by light lumens. Simply, it is the width of the light of your chosen flashlight. Technically, a flashlight with higher flood will brighten a large area but not for too far distance. It is the overall area brightness capabilities of a flashlight.
On the other hand, Throw is the length of light lumens. A flashlight with a high throw has a strong beam which can focus on a long distance object.
Nowadays, flashlights are designed in such a way that can be floody or thorwy or both.
Experts’ recommendation highlight’s that if you need a flashlight for a close up activities than a floody flashlight will be a best one. But if you want to see objects from far than a long throw flashlight will be helpful.
But our recommendation is that you can chose the best combination of flood and throw.
Candela per Lumen ratio
This one is another crucial technical term which actually makes relationship between the beam intensity of the flashlight and the overall light output. This one is measured in the unit of Candela/Lumen ratio. This factor also refers to the pattern of the beam of the light. These patterns are mainly of 3 types:
- Less than 20 Lumen/Candela: Shallow reflectors. Best suited as indoor appliances.
- 20-100 Lumen/Candela: Shallow smooth ones. Larger diffusion of light.
- More than 100 Lumen/Candela: Reflectors are of deep and smooth capabilities. Mainly constructed for the outdoor uses.
The output modes and their constructional patterns also vary from one to another. They are mainly of the following different modes of operation those are available in the best rechargeable flashlight:
- Single output: Simple operation and easy to use. It is just switch on, light on.
- Multi mode operation: Different levels of brightness for different environment. Options are available for the altering as situation demands.
- Strobe mode: Suitable for the quick flashing.
- SOS mode: Helpful for sending Morse code.
- Beacon operation: Relatively slower flashing process.
- Programmable operation: Different mode sequences. Easy to enable or disable.
Types of Batteries
The soothing performance of the flashlight solely depends upon the types of the batteries used. It also plays important role in cost managements. The quality and types of the batteries change widely.
The most common and regularly used battery types are:
- AA or AAA: These most common used in general purposes. They are also cheaper than other ones.
- C or D: These larger ones are suitable for the heavier uses. But not a smart choice for the portable flashlight. Thus, their popularity is going down day by day.
- 123A: More preferable choices as they are small in sizes and also more capable than the other alkaline batteries.
- Li-ion batteries: These rechargeable batteries are considered as the most reliable and the smartest choices at the present time. They are more durable than other options and also have impressive performances. The average life time of these batteries are more than 1000 cycles.
- Capacitors: These are also amazing choices as they are really rapid during the charging, can hold the charge for a week approximately and also lightweight.
- Other options: Apart from these popular choices, there are many more other options available as the power sources of the modern flashlights. Examples of such ones are disposable lithium batteries (CR123A, CR2), rechargeable batteries (RCR123A, 18500, 18650), integrated rechargeable batteries, Nickel Metal Hydride cells (NiMH), Nickel Cadmium cells (NiCd) etc.
- Alternative power sources options: Sometimes alternate power sources might be helpful as the backup batteries, especially when the rechargeable batteries get their charge ended. Alkaline C-cell batteries or the other Lithium batteries might be the good options for this purpose.
Types of switches
The rechargeable batteries can also have different switching options. Different fashions are available for the different models of the flashlights. The types of switches vary considering the outlook of the flashlight, design patterns, ease of operation or the comfort of the consumers while using the lights. Thus, the main categories of the switches of the flashlights can be the following ones:
- Twisty and Clicky switches: According to the method of operation of the switches, they can be considered as two different fashions-twisty and clicky. While using the twisty switches, you just need to twist the bezel of the flashlight and all will be done at the instant. On the other hand, while operating the clicky ones, you need to push the button for the purpose of either turning the light on or changing the modes of operation.
- Both twisty and clicky: Switches are also available containing both the features of the twisty and clicky ones. Both the twisting and clicking operation might be used for different purposes, like you might need to push the button for turning the light on. Again, if you opt to change the mode of operation, you might need to twist the bezel on the light.
- Tactical flashlights: The position of the switches is also a matter of consideration. The position might be on the side of the light or in the back side on the rear tail cap. Flashlights containing the switches on its rear tail cap are mainly referred to as the tactical lights. They have other convenient options and uses. For example, these lights are more reliable, more shock resistant, powerful & intense light projection, stronger batteries and also lighter in weight. These lights are best suited for the self-defense programs and they are also suitable in the night visions.
Another factor the customers should be careful of is the building material of the flashlights as the durability of the lights depends upon the quality and components of the building materials of the flashlight’s body. The main building materials of the flashlights are:
- Plastic: Modern flashlights are mainly made of plastic. The quality of the plastic used in the operation of the light’s construction might get varied from one polymer to another one to make the complex construction. Sometimes the bodies are also reinforced by glasses or other materials for providing better quality and the rigidity.
- Anodized aluminum: Aluminum is another popular choice while constructing the body of the flashlights. Plain aluminum is a good option, but the anodized aluminum is the better one. Aluminum bodies are more convenient to use as they have well conductivity of electricity and heat dissipation is also better in such bodies.
- Stainless steel: Stainless steel might be another good option for getting the more polish and fashionable design and construction of the light bodies.
- Titanium: Like the stainless steel, titanium would also be a good choice for the well-furnished body of the flashlight.
- Zinc: Zinc is also a better option as this one is die-cast and is well favorable to turn into any intricate shapes.
- Magnesium and alloys: The magnesium has almost the similar features like the aluminum bodies and it is well accepted during the construction. Different alloys of magnesium are also mixed together to form the body construction.
Body design of the flashlights
The body of the flashlights also varies from one design to other ones for making them more fashionable and eye-catching. The available and popular designs are:
- Tubular or Cylindrical: This one is the most common design of the flashlight bodies. This traditional body is also helpful in the better projection of the lights.
- Anti-roll body: As the round objects are more prone to roll around, some of the bodies of the flashlights have the anti-roll body design for preventing the flashlights from the rolling around. They are also popular in the common uses.
Design of the bezels
Bezel is one of the most important parts of the entire body of the flashlight and also plays a significant role while operating. The design of this bezel is also important to look for. There are mainly 2 different designs:
- Flat design: This one is simple design and straightforward operation. Easy to use.
- Crenellations: This one has some special pattern and they have the options of alerting the users while the light is passing through the bezel. Thus, this one is also convenient for the operation.
Resistance to water
One of the most crucial factors that ensure the safety of the flashlights during the operation is its water resisting ability. Depending upon this specific characteristic, the flashlights’ constructions are of 3 types:
- Submergible flashlights (IPX8): These constructions keep the body of the flashlights submergible up to a specific depth and ensure the continuous use of the lights.
- Waterproof bodies (IPX7): These designs are submergible up to 1 meter of height for approximation of about 30 minutes.
- Complete water resistant bodies (IPX6): Completely water resistant bodies of the flashlights are considered as the most suitable for any purposes.
Best rechargeable flashlight doesn’t mean you’ve to buy the expensive one. The flashlight that meets your all requirement including your budget is easy to buy for you.
Pricing is the last one but might be the most important of the all characteristics need to be looked for while purchasing any flashlight. I feel that probably this one is the most crucial one to be discussed.
All the customers are well aware about their financial state of purchasing any flashlight and want to have a convenient range of costing while consuming the items. There are different ranges of cost for the different constructions, designs, features, and the availability of the flashlights.
Normally the price range starts from $40 and it may continue up to more than $150. Actually, the price completely depends upon the budget of the customers. The most usual pricing list of this item is like the following one:
- Less than $40.
- Between $40- $70
- Between $70-$120
- Between $120-$150
- More than $150
How can I choose the best rechargeable flashlight for my use?
Congratulations!!! If you are reading this line than it mean you already read our comprehensive 2,500+ words long best rechargeable flashlight buying guide.
After going through all the factors and all the details described so far, you might get yourself more confused about choosing the best one for your purposes.
If that is so, then we are also trying to get you out of such confusion. It’s you who will decide what to buy for and for which specific purposes. So, you will be the best one to decide.
But, before making a deal for best rechargeable flashlight please try to revise and going through the following points. You will get your answer which one you should grab.
1. Understand the type of flashlights you required
The first and foremost thing is to know your demand completely. Your demands of purchasing the flashlight will be varied according to your demand. So, it would be wise to choose the best item as par your demand at the first place. For example: if you need it for the household purposes only, then it would be convenient to choose the typical tactical sized lights with mid ranged batteries like Li-ion 123A batteries. But if you are planning to go for any camping or hiking program, then you should choose the tactical lights which might suit best with your purposes.
2. Revise your budget before going for the purchase
Another important thing you need to revise before the final purchase is to revise the limit of your budget. It will also depend upon your demand. There are different ranges of budget limit stated above. Revise the different budget categories and choose the best one for your ease.
3. Making the choice of the best brand
There are different brands of the flashlights and maximum of them are well renowned and popular in the industry. Some very famous names where you can find the best rechargeable flashlight are Streamlight, Inova, Fenix, Princeton, Nitecore, SureFire or MagLite.
All of these brands have also different types of models along with different specifications and useful features to meet up your demand. For your ease you can use our flashlight comparison.
The common characteristics like the intensity of light output, beam distance, beam intensity, body structure & design, water resistance, shock resistance, types of batteries used, modes of operations, user interface, batteries durability, charging time, costs, etc. are also different for the different models of the different brands.
You should choose the specific model of any of these famous brands after considering all these particular specifications. The one which will be best suited for your purpose and has the maximum characteristics you are going to look for should be grabbed by you. You can purchase them from the available market place, or you can even make an online order from different online marketplace like Amazon.
From the above reviews and thorough guideline you got all details on how to find out the best rechargeable flashlight before buying. It is also clear that, some of the best flashlights are mentioned here. Make your decision first which category flashlight you need then, go through the market in details. Finally, get your favorite flashlight.